This position joins a growing team of cloud engineers and developers in the Advanced Computing Interfaces area of the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC). As part of the Cloud and Interactive Computing (CIC) group, this position will contribute to the design, implementation and operation of cloud infrastructure and devops supporting computational science endeavors. The initial focus for this position will be on OpenStack but can grow to other cloud technologies. For CIC background and projects, see https://www.tacc.utexas.edu/systems/cloud-computing
· Contribute to the design, development, operation and support of our production OpenStack deployments, specifically the Chameleon cloud research testbed (cf. www.chameleoncloud.org
· Using devops tools such as Puppet, designs automated deployment and delivery mechanisms that can be used to deploy our large microservice platforms for both on-prem and off-site deployments.
· Researches various cloud computing technologies and ideas for their applicability to projects.
· Contributes to the preparation of proposals to contracting agencies.
· Works with key stakeholders across the center and other researchers nationally to determine project requirements and desired results.
· Reports results of research in submissions to contracting agencies, in-house publications, journal articles and books, as appropriate.
· Remains available to travel and present hands-on training sessions promoting the use of cloud computing infrastructure and applications as teaching tools.
· Available for after-hours system support in the event of unexpected outage (pager duty).
· Ability to demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional demeanor
· Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to collaborate with other researchers.
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, mathematics, or a computational science or engineering discipline with four years of relevant experience, or high school degree and 8 years experience. Experience with the following strongly desired:
- Strong Linux system administration skills.
- OpenStack Experience
- Familiarity with one devops automation tool such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef.
- Experience running OpenStack in production level environment
- Experience deploying and administering large container-based platforms.
- Experience with advanced monitoring systems and services.
- Experience administering highly available object storage and/or block storage systems.
- Experience administering databases and/or messaging systems such as MySQL, MongoDB, Redis and RabbitMQ.
- Masters or Ph.D. degree or advanced coursework in computer science, information science, mathematics, or a computational science or engineering discipline.