TACC designs and deploys the world's most powerful advanced computing technologies and innovative software solutions to enable researchers to answer complex questions like these and many more. Every day, researchers rely on our computing experts and resources to help them gain insights and make discoveries that change the world.
TACC's environment includes a comprehensive cyberinfrastructure ecosystem of leading-edge resources in high performance computing (HPC), visualization, data analysis, storage, archive, cloud, data-driven computing, connectivity, tools, APIs, algorithms, consulting, and software. In addition, our skilled experts work with thousands of researchers on more than 3,000 projects each year.
The Java Web Developer joins a growing team of research scientists and developers in the Advanced Computing Interfaces area of the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC) as a part of the Portals and Gateways Infrastructure team.
Report to the Portal and Gateways Infrastructure Group supporting a suite of web and mobile applications. Support and develop software for a wide array of tools and applications including the XSEDE User Portal and utilize good software development practices. Participate in the design and development of java portlets for the XSEDE User Portal and XSEDE Web Site (https://portal.xsede.org). Interact and collaborate with researchers at UT and nationally to develop new features for the XSEDE User Portal. Join and contribute to a technical team using various development methodologies in order to write, test, and deploy production quality software services, and provide supporting documentation and/or procedures for development and operations. Research technologies and ideas for their applicability to projects. Participate in writing publications for journals and presenting work at conferences.
Bachelor's degree. Minimum 4 years experience. This position requires expert understanding of the web, experience using and integrating multiple technologies and frameworks, as well as experience developing reusable component libraries usable by developers of varying skill levels.
- Experience with the following: Portlets, Servlets, and JSP
- Liferay Portal Framework or other JSR portlet application container
- Consuming RESTful web services
- Database Technologies (MySQL and postgreSQL prefered)
- Unit testing
- Software Versioning (Git, Maven)
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional demeanor. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with researchers and conduct professional presentations
Master's degree in computer science, information science, mathematics, or a computational science or engineering discipline. Four years of relevant experience.
Experience with the following is desired
- Python and Django
- Containerized applications with Docker
- Continuous Integration
- Front-end development with Angular, Node
- Mobile application development
- Working with distributed systems
- Cloud services
- Responsive design
- Familiarity with High Performance Computing, High Throughput Computing, and Distributed Computing paradigms