TACC designs and deploys the world's most powerful advanced computing technologies and innovative software solutions to enable researchers to answer complex questions like these and many more. Every day, researchers rely on our computing experts and resources to help them gain insights and make discoveries that change the world.
TACC's environment includes a comprehensive cyberinfrastructure ecosystem of leading-edge resources in high performance computing (HPC), visualization, data analysis, storage, archive, cloud, data-driven computing, connectivity, tools, APIs, algorithms, consulting, and software. In addition, our skilled experts work with thousands of researchers on more than 3,000 projects each year.
This position joins team of research scientists and developers in the Advanced Computing Interfaces area of the Texas Advanced Computing Center (TACC).
As part of the, Portal and Gateways Infrastructure group, this position contributes to multiple projects including the Scientific Software Collaborative components of the Science Gateways Institute Project (sciencegateways.org). This position will work on multiple areas of this project including a front end gateway and software catalog based on an API-driven, web-based technology known as Agave for open science community and support a suite of web applications. Interact and collaborate with researchers nationally to build a better platform for science gateways and grow the community. Support and develop software for a wide array of tools and applications and utilize good software development practices. Contribute to a technical team using various development methodologies in order to write, test, and deploy production quality software services, and provide supporting documentation and/or procedures for development and operations. Research technologies and ideas for their applicability to projects. Participate in writing publications for journals and presenting work at conferences.
Bachelor's degree. Minimum 4 years recent, full-time experience programming
- Full-time experience programming in Java or Python or other related web programming language
- Experience working in a Linux/UNIX command line environment including basic shell scripting and system configuration
- Consuming RESTful web services
- Database Technologies (MySQL and postgreSQL prefered)
- Unit testing
- Software Versioning (Git, Maven)
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication skills and professional demeanor.Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to collaborate with other researchers and participate in professional presentations
Master's degree in computer science, information science, mathematics, or a computational science or engineering discipline.
Experience with some or all of the following is desired
- Python and Django
- Containerized applications with Docker
- Continuous Integration
- Front-end development with Angular, Node
- Mobile application development
- Working with distributed systems
- Cloud services
- Responsive design
- Familiarity with High Performance Computing, High Throughput Computing, and Distributed Computing paradigms
- Experience interacting with commercial cloud providers such as AWS, Azure, RackSpace, Digital Ocean, etc.