Designed as a startup within the Research & Innovation division, L’Oréal’s Technology Incubator is dedicated to meeting the needs of consumers through disruptive innovation. The team partners with entrepreneurs, academic institutions and experts across disciplines to advance research and launch first-to-market technologies across the globe.
Launched in 2012 with just two employees, L’Oréal’s Technology Incubator currently has labs in New Jersey/New York, California, France and Japan. Our team of 22 includes physicists, engineers, UX and hardware designers, and data scientists.
As a Director in the Technology Incubator, you will be responsible for strategic projects in diagnostic development for skin and make-up diagnosis to build and connect cosmetic devices for our at-home consumer sector. You’ll investigate and make recommendations for the design, development and prototyping of novel hardware technology (i.e. sensors, optics, mechanics) for connected beauty and personalized cosmetics.
You’ll develop and leverage your partnerships from key start-ups in the US to create connected devices that add value to the consumer, the products, and to the Research organization. As a project manager you’ll interface with our global IT organizations to link the data obtained to our current and future L’Oreal-driven databases and consumer technology such as smartphones. Your skill in scanning relative fields in the area of public research, patent applications and journals will be critical.
If you have a keen appreciation for devices with an entrepreneurial approach to business and expertise to drive multiple complex projects, we’d love to hear from you!
Who are you?
- An accomplished project lead experienced in driving projects under pressure and deadlines, with active involvement in scheduling, impactful resourcing and adherence to business plan goals.
- An engineering expert and/or generalist with a strong understanding of consumer / healthcare oriented electronic devices (with experience in electronics and optics a plus)
- You have a leading edge understanding of complex scientific tools, technologies and devices
- A resourceful and entrepreneurial engineer with keen sense of where and how to search for devices tools and scientific information
- A discerning negotiator skilled in external vendor partnerships with an understanding of the patent process and intellectual information and the ability to negotiate for technology while respecting the inventors or organizations
- You’re a compelling presenter who can convey complex ideas/concepts to all audiences
- You have the desire to participate in L’Oréal’s international scientific community
Here’s what you’ll need:
- MS in Optics, Industrial, Mechanical, Electrical, Computer Engineering, or similar with 5-10 year experience or PhD in same fields with 3-5 year experience.
- Experience in cross functional project management on strategic device launches
- Experience working with business development, patents, and legal teams for the consumer goods industry a plus Demonstrated academic or entrepreneurial experience accelerating innovation to the market/R&I (concept to market)
- Organization and time management skills necessary to lead multiple projects simultaneously and to completion
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. English Fluency required
- ~25% travel required.
- Must be legally able to work in the US on an on-going basis.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and take pride in a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other legally protected status.